My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster

July 28, 2007

Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's always interesting to see movies, documentaries or not, made about things I've experienced in my lifetime. I am by no means the biggest of Metallica fans, but to say that this band hasn't shaped my music tastes a little would be very far from the truth. I was pretty excited and a little leery when I heard there was going to be a documentary about pretty much the biggest metal/heavy rock/etc bands of the past three decades. Yeah, I'd like to learn more about this band, but what's the point of view going to be? Will this just be propaganda? After watching the film I have to say I loved it. Maybe it's just that good, or maybe I got sucked in. Hard to say. I guess you'll have to let me know what you thought of it. One thing I was really getting annoyed with from about 1999 to 2005 is how all of a sudden everybody loved Metallica. Yeah, they were already freaking huge and popular, but I'm talking all of a sudden it was EVERYBODY. It seemed like any and every rock station was having Metallica time every night. My little brother's friends would come over and I'd hear them start talking about how they've loved this band their whole lives and how the Black album is the best "first" album ever. Personally, I loved Kill em All, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All and Black. Load and Reload were ok. Garage Inc was cool. The Symphony album was a little overplayed and I was a bit disappointed with St. Anger. At the time I didn't really know what to think of Jason leaving the band. I also couldn't stand Trujillo when it was announced he was their new bass player. Looking back though, I don't think it would have mattered who stepped in to fill those shoes. Watching the documentary showed a bit how dysfunctional the band was or had become. My initial reaction is, "Grow Up!". However, I don't know if I would perform any better in their shoes. Money and power do strange things to people and I hate being in the spotlight for whatever reason. I know the documentary doesn't show everything. It's not like things were shown the band didn't approve of. At the same time, it was interesting to see them acting like real people. There's so many insane reality shows on TV that are about the farthest thing from reality. I would pick this one up if I found it for a reasonable price. Some documentaries are cool, but it's not like I'd ever watch it again. For some reason I feel a little personally invested in this. I'm sure all you other fans out there know what I'm talking about. I give this one two thumbs up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home