My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

July 21, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix, which came out more than a week ago. I only saw it last night, shortly after re-reading the book. The last time I read it was when I bought it at Heathrow Airport in the summer of 2003, after my sister's wedding in Nepal. I had planned on buying the paperback when it came out, but as soon as I saw the book in the airport bookstore, I had to have it. The same thing happened in 2005, when I saw Book Six (Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince) in a bookstore in Lourdes, France. Then, the same thing happened today -- the release date of the final book -- when I was at the mall running an errand. There it was, staring me down, and I was forced (forced!) to buy Book 7, Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows. I like Harry Potter a lot. I think that JK Rowling is a creative genius. I would love to have even an ounce of her creativity and ingenuity for myself. I guess I'm telling you all of this because unless the movie just sucked, I was going to love it. This is a biased, unfair review, because I LOVE Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix. I love the storylines, the character conflicts, the absolute perfect portrayal of what it's like to be 15. I love the book so much, and that meant that I could only love the movie. Oh, and I love Sirius Black. The best moment of the whole movie, I think, was when Harry confessed to his godfather Sirius, "I'm angry all the time." The darkness of the story lets us know that a major part of this anger comes from the connection between the Dark Lord Voldemort and Harry himself, but the honesty of the story tells us something else: it's also because he's 15, and when you're 15, you have little control over your emotions. Sure, the director of Movie #5, David Yates, tried to cram a whole lot more than he should have into the movie. But how could he not? Also, he does a great job of knowing what to leave out: Hagrid's story of living with the giants, the emotional saga of Harry's banishment from Quidditch, the lengthiness of Dumbledore's eventual conversation with his favorite student about the history of the prophecy in question. Yates also knew what was essential: the relationship between Harry and Sirius, first of all, and then Harry's emotional state. We've seen Harry abused and defeated through four books/movies, despite his victories. In the fifth chapter, it's finally taking its toll. He's tired, and he's unsure of himself. And that's what Yates does so well to capture. He understands that exhaustion and that weakness, and he shows it to us plainly and honestly. The movie definitely has flaws, but despite them, it's a really, really good story.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chalupa said...

Liz and I went to see this again and I thought it was awesome. Way better than the first movie. Now I'm looking forward to the next one.

6:15 PM, August 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home