My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: Animal Factory

June 29, 2007

Animal Factory

This is a movie I've seen at Best Buy, Blockbuster, etc for a long time and I've always wondered what it's like. The cover just makes it look so good. I wouldn't say this was amazing, but I really liked it. Directed by Steve Buscemi, Willem Dafoe and Edward Furlong are both inmates in a prison. Dafoe is the head of a faction in the prison and Furlong has just been incarcerated. Like most prison shows, movies and stories, Furlong needs to find some friends fast or he'll turn into what they call "fresh fish". This is where Dafoe and his gang of thugs step in. Dafoe has never seemed like a big and scary person, but he pulled off being tough and formidable here. I wouldn't want to mess with him. It's no wonder so many stand up for him in this prison. For some weird reason, he latches onto Furlong and looks out for him; being genuinely friendly in the process. Dafoe sees something in this young man that he doesn't have with his fellow inmates: intelligence, wit and somewhat of a striving to better oneself. The dynamic duo makes plans to escape. In the end only one of them makes it out, but that's ok. We're left feeling like this is how things were meant to be. This left me wanting to finish watching all of Oz, a TV show about a hard-core prison. I was also left wondering why Dafoe took the time and effort to even look out for Furlong. Maybe this was a peek into the humanity of his character. I'd say this was also some good directing by Buscemi. Interestingly enough, he directed a couple episodes of Oz after making his prison movie. So I guess the real question is does Animal Factory remind me of Oz, or does Oz remind me of Animal Factory?

1 Comments:

Blogger David Harrity said...

Chalupa! It rocked seeing you (I wish I could add italics on "you") at the wedding and I hope we can talk again soon. I'll email and we'll chat. Blog like crazy...

9:41 PM, July 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home