My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: 28 Weeks Later

May 12, 2007

28 Weeks Later

If you didn't know, this is the sequel to 28 Days Later. They are, in a sense, zombie movies, but they're done with class. There's great acting, great dialog, great cinematography, effects, etc. I think these movies stand by themselves quite well. If you didn't catch the first one, you should be able to go and watch the sequel without feeling clueless. Danny Boyle and Alex Garland directed and wrote the first one and produced the second. So even though it's technically not the same director, Boyle still had a hand in what went on. These movies have shock value. They make you jump. If you've seen either, I assume you know what I'm talking about. What I'm proud to announce is that 28 Weeks Later takes it up a notch and still makes you jump a little. Totally different actors. We don't actually see anybody from the first film. Going in, I was kinda wondering what had happened to Jim and Selena, etc. Maybe they survived, maybe they didn't. We don't actually know for sure. I think I like it better that way. Everyone did well acting. As far as I know, this is the most violent role Robert Carlyle has played. Definitely a bit more aggressive than his character Begbie from Trainspotting. Also recognized Catherine McCormack (Spygame and Braveheart), Jeremy Renner (SWAT and North Country), Harold Perrineau (Oz, Romeo + Juliet, Lost) and Rose Byrne (Wicker Park, Marie Antoinette, Casanova). It was interesting to see the plot in both movies being driven by children. One things I must really applaud is how the chaos was filmed. When you had people running around and being chased, eaten, etc. They shot it from the perspective of the victims - running around wildly and panic-stricken. However, it wasn't so crazy that you felt dizzy or motion-sick. There were also key images that were shown so that you knew exactly what was going on. I'm interested in taking a look at the soundtrack. The previews had Muse, but the score during the movie was all themed music and no recognizable songs. We have the soundtrack to 28 Days and love it. Hopefully this one will be good as well. Boyle and Garland were both criticized for being way too optimistic in the first film. I think that was because most of the people lived and you assumed they were rescued and lived happily ever after. Obviously something does go wrong though because there's a sequel. It would be interesting if there was a third installment - maybe 28 months later or something like that. Depending on where they went with it, the film could be just as good or really bad. There's a lot more I'd like to discuss and talk about, but I wouldn't want to ruin the movie for you. That said, I highly recommend this one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Great review ... The music was something I failed to mention, but you're right it played a big - and very successful - part in driving the action

12:08 PM, May 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home