My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: The Devil and Daniel Johnston

March 15, 2007

The Devil and Daniel Johnston

I didn't really know much about Daniel Johnston at all before seeing this documentary. The first time I saw posters for it I didn't really know what to think. However, after hearing a rave review from Shorb, I knew I had to check it out and was so glad I did. You probably haven't heard of Johnston either, but I bet you'd recognize some of his influences. Daniel Johnston is a musician, performer and song writer that was a very famous nobody. I say 'famous nobody' because while so many knew and adored his music, he never really made it big. He's definitely what they call a cult-classic. One aspect I was really impressed with is how they incorporated home recordings, both audio and video, into the modern footage shot for the movie. Daniel had been documenting his own life never thinking some of it could be used later on. It's really cool to see him in action and also hear what friends and family have to say about certain events/times. Everything blended together quite well. I'm sure this movie would bore a lot of people, but I found it quite fascinating. Personally, I try to appreciate the arts and sometimes it's really hard to know what to appreciate until you find out a little history behind it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home