My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: Into the Wild

November 4, 2007

Into the Wild

If you haven't already read the book this movie is based on, then you should probably go pick it up at your local library. I myself haven't read it yet, but my wife does own it and has been on me to read it for a couple years. I consider myself lucky to have seen the movie. Emile Hirsch portrays Christopher McCandless, a recent college graduate who is dissatisfied with society and the business people fall into. He wants to experience nature and live off the land. He doesn't want to be tied down by a job, money or useless laws and regulations. He wants to live a simple life and enjoy the beauty that can't be found in bustling metropolises or busy cities. He wants to head North to Alaska where there are mountains, rivers and endless sky. This is a true story that includes many people that encountered Christopher, or Alexander Supertramp as he liked to call himself. McCandless came from a less than perfect home. A home that can all too easily be summed up partially be Wes Anderson's commentary on the American family, The Royal Tenenbaums. Christopher wanted to get out and see the world. In a way, maybe he left his family to get back at them. He greatly affected a great number of people he met on his way and befriended everyone in an uncanny Dude-like manner that the Coen's created in their film, The Big Lebowski. On the other hand, there were also people he hurt like his sister that was abandoned along with his parents. Throughout the movie though, we see "Alex" hitching rides from town to town, getting jobs to pay for what he needed, and even kayaking from Colorado to Mexico. He did all of this before the age of 25. That seems pretty amazing to me because I'm 26 and I can't say I've accomplished many of those things. To expound on his Dude-like qualities, I was really amazed how no one was too old, young or culturally different from McCandless to be his friend. Chris was always able to relate to people and be their friend. I think deep down inside everybody feels this way. Everybody wants to be liked. Everybody wants to have friends and be somebody's friend. However, for some reason, declaring, "I want to befriend everyone I meet" just doesn't sound very manly or macho. What's wrong with that? I think it has something to do with being tough, showing emotion and making yourself vulnerable. I highly recommend this movie and the book, even though I have yet to read it myself. One thing my wife mentioned after the movie was she wished they had shown some of the effects on people Chris had met after they learned of his death. She said everybody took it pretty hard. So I guess if you loved the movie, there's some motivation to pick up the book and give it a read.

3 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I love a good road movie, so this does indeed sound ideal ... I have read another of Jon Krakauer's books, "Under the Banner of Heaven," which is just an amazing look at the Mormon religion which I can't recommend highly enough

11:16 AM, November 05, 2007  
Blogger nateshorb said...

i loved it, chalupa. it reminded me all too much of the friend we picked up back in april.
http://nateshorb.blogspot.com/2007/04/i-desperately-wanted-to-travel-to.html

10:35 PM, November 05, 2007  
Blogger Chalupa said...

RF - I'll have to see if my wife has read "Under the Banner of Heaven." She always seems to know everything about contemporary literature.

Dude - Shorb - this might sound lame, but I totally thought of that guy you guys picked up too.

10:41 PM, November 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home