My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: Eastern Promises

November 6, 2007

Eastern Promises

I have a confession to make: director David Cronenburg is one of those critically acclaimed directors I just don't get. However, his last film "A History of Violence" was the first one I watched and felt its power. I felt there was something there, even if I wasn't fully understanding just how complex it was. Similar to "A History of Violence," "Eastern Promises" stars the talented Viggo Mortensen and the underrated Naomi Watts in a crime drama revolving around babies, body parts and a sect of the Russian Mafia in London. Written by Stephen Knight, the screenwriter that gave us "Dirty Pretty Things," another story more specifically about black market body parts, "Eastern Promises" begins with a jolt. True to Cronenburg's form it seems, the violence in his films is often drawn out--shot without music or edited with stylized style--and it's also visceral. So are the scenes in "Eastern Promises." They touch on delicate subjects (underage prostitutes, abortion, homosexuality, pure human deception) and everything seems to be marked by the sins of these Mafia characters (similar to their iconic-like tatoos). The tagline for the film reads: "every sin leaves a mark." And this is really what the movie is all about. It unpacks this idea through its visuals and asks its audience to be subjected to its darkness (make no mistake about it, it is dark). But can we bear it? Can we endure through it? I think the film could've been more effective (or at least more accessible to mass audiences) if more music was in the film, but I'm quickly learning that this is not Cronenburg's style. He seems to like revealing things, not as if it's cinema but as if it's real life, and this tension is felt continually throughout the film. Do I believe things like this go on? Absolutely. But can I ever see myself as one of them? Probably not. It wasn't until the film's end until I sensed any kind of humanity in the "villian" characters of the film. What distinquishes people as people and people as monsters? This is another question the film asks. Mortensen and Watts are both strong here and both give convincing performances with convincing accents. But so much darkness is here I wonder if Cronenburg would've been wise to have let a little more light in (into the scenes, into the colors, in the images/icons of the film). I know this is neo-film noir from a very experienced and artistic filmmaker but I still can wonder, right? All in all, worth a rental, not quite worth the $10 cinema ticket price (unless you want to really really feel the violence--then maybe you should go to the cinema and watch it).

1 Comments:

Blogger Chalupa said...

Sounds like I should put this on my netflix list.

12:05 PM, November 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home