My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: Memoirs of a Geisha

January 16, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha

I really liked this movie too. In fact, I was just realizing the other day that I usually don't write about things on here if I really hated them. There were a lot of good Chinese actors in this film. Ziyi Zhang and Michelle Yeoh, from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Ken Watanabe, from The Last Samurai and Batman Begins, are the only three whose names I recognize. I saw other faces that seemed familiar, but I have no idea what their names are. This story starts out in pre-WWII Japan. Two little girls are sold by their father and taken into the city. Chiyo is trained to be a geisha and her sister presumably escapes. From here on we follow Chiyo as she trains and eventually becomes one of the 'most celebrated geisha of Japan'. I don't mean to sound cheesy here. It really was a very interesting story. I bet the book would be a good read. When watching this I kept thinking back to other movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or House of Flying Daggers or Hero. I'm not really sure why - maybe because of some of the actors involved. This movie didn't have some of the amazing color-scenes, but the acting was phenomenal in my opinion. I think Ken Watanabe is great and am really looking forward to seeing him in more movies. Ziyi Zhang and Michelle Yeoh also performed well...again. I have yet to be dissapointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home