My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

January 12, 2006

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

I was so excited for this movie to come out and I have to say I wasn't dissappointed. The only way it could have been better, in my opinion, was to have a more adult-themed movie with more intense scenes. By this I mean the battle scenes could have been sweeter and the witch scenes could have been scarier. However, this doesn't really matter to me because we're talking about a children's book here. I was such a huge fan of the BBC production for the first four books in C.S. Lewis' epic children's series: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, Voyage of the DawnTreader(Reepicheep was played by that little dude from Willow!) and The Silver Chair. These were so awesome back in the day. This latest version is top notch. I think they did a great job with the casting on this one. Liz pointed out to me that all of the British children had full lips and that seems to be the "thing" these days. I also think that Jim Broadbent was a great choice for the professor and Elizabeth Hawthorne as Mrs. MacReady. Oh and who can forget the White Witch? Tilda Swinton pulled off another good performance here. If you don't recognize her right away you might have seen her in Constantine or Thumbsucker or Adaptation. And Aslan. I think the digital Aslan was so much better here than the BBC's large stuffed animal. It's pretty sweet what they can do these days with computers. I'm not going to talk much about the story here because you really should go out and read the book. It shouldn't even take you a day to finish it. I would also like to point out that Weta Workshop had a large hand in a lot of the weapon, armor, and costume making for this film. So keep that in mind. If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's the company Peter Jackson created while filming the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Ok, so I think I've crooned enough about this film. I liked it a lot. This is definitely a family friendly film, but may not be suitable for the little little tikes. This is one movie that could lend itself to lots of constructive conversation afterwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home