My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.branfeld.com/movies/ and update your bookmarks.

Chalupa's Movies: Hotel Rwanda

January 12, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

What more can be said about the Rwanda genocide of 1994? Actually, a lot. And this movie only touches the surface and yes, the real issues and problems between the Tutsis and the Hutus is way more complex, and goes much further into humanity than a 2-hour movie can possibly hope to examine, but having said that, "Hotel Rwanda" still does something to its audience: it moves us in ways movies like this should. Not by showing us gruesome, horrific images (although there are some images that will stay with me, not from seeing them but from hearing them described by people in the movie) but by showing us a story of mass murder and governmental corruption and takeover where the rest of the world slowly closes one eye and looks in the other direction.

Don Cheadle is a revelation here, and I hope he finally gets the recognition he's deserved for years and years. Ever since his catty, cool performance in Steven Soderbergh's "Out of Sight," I knew and hoped he would continue as an actor to be reckoned with. And this might just be the performance that nails him in a best actor seat, next to Jamie Foxx of course (for "Ray"). Again, add this one (probably) to the list of the year's 10 best. A human interest story from across the globe that manages to get under our skin and tap on our hearts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chalupa said...

I've really wanted to see this one. I haven't seen a movie in forever. I feel so out of touch with my movie friends.

9:46 PM, January 12, 2005  
Blogger Neville said...

And I feel like my friends Chalupa and Liz have been slacking and in turn, I feel like I'm a movie addict. This one's a really good one though...makes you mad to be so wealthy and well-off and just a middle class American in general. OH well. life goes on.

9:01 PM, January 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home